Paddling on the Tamihi Rapids is meant to be watched!
Come out and cheer on the locals or catch a glimpse of PanAm and future Olympic Athletes. The best Whitewater Racers in Canada will be competing for the National Champion title this summer in Chilliwack BC. The area is beautiful so please stop by an witness the courage, strength, and skill of these amazing paddlers.
The races are happening on July 25th and 26th at the Tamihi Rapids. Starting around 10:00am and finishing around 3:00pm.
For those of you new to slalom here's a video to explain the rules and format of the event:
Things to consider:
When you're coming out to the event please keep in mind that it's an outdoor venue in a more remote location, yet there is good access for everyone. There are some thing you may want to keep in mind:
- Bring a comfy camp chair and pick a spot with a good view.
- Feel free to explore the course. It's possible to see the whole thing from one point of view, but it's great to move around and watch a few athletes through each section. This way you can see the details of what paddlers are doing.
- Be smart near the water! It's possible to get very close to the action, but please remember that the river is dangerous and watch your step.
- Respect the volunteers judging the race. They are volunteers near the water doing important jobs and they need to keep their focus. Please leave them too it (even if you know them).
- Bring a camera. The action on the water makes for some spectacular images.
- Dress for the weather :) Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat hopefully. Umbrella too in the sun or rain.
- Pack a cooler. Snacks and a cold beverage make for great day at the river.